Monday 14 December 2020

Day 14 - A Christmas Classic

 We're almost half way through December, and we're over half way through Advent. Decorating the house over the weekend was a joy, the Christmas pork is now brining in the fridge to become the Christmas ham, I made the first Irish Coffees of the season on Friday, and I'm beginning to feel the Christmas spirit wash over me. That has nothing to do with the Vimto and Schnapps I'm sipping. I really must get some different mixers!



I think most people would declare, if you asked them to say the greatest Christmas fiction, that The Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens would be top of the list. The original book has inspired many wonderful films that are treasures of the season. With that in mind, here are 14 quotes from the book or films that stick with me. There are many more, so there may be a follow-up blog later on in Advent!

The Original Classic, by Charles Dickens

Scrooge:

There was a boy singing a Christmas carol at my door last night. I should like to have given him something: that's all.


The Ghost of Christmas Present:

The boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and of all their degree. But most of all beware this boy.


The Muppets Christmas Carol

Gonzo: I am here for the story.

Rizzo: And I am here for the food.


Tiny Tim:

Bless us all, that as we live,

We always comfort and forgive.

We have so much, that we can share,

With those in need we see around us everywhere.


Quantum Leap: A Little Miracle

Michael Blake:

The Ghost of Christmas Future wore a black cape. Jacob Marley had the chains.

Al:

I AM the Ghost of Christmas Future. Ooooooooooh.



Michael Blake:

I-I must be dreaming.

Al:

More...like a nightmare!


The Man Who Invented Christmas

Charles Dickens: No one is useless in this world who lightens the burden of another.


Charles Dickens:

He been this way for a long time. I'm not sure he can change.

Tara:

Of course he can. He's not a monster.

Scrooge:

I thought this was a ghost story. Not a fairy tale.


Scrooge

Scrooge:

I don't deserve to be so happy. But I can't help it. I-I-I just can't help it!


Scrooge:

Before I draw nearer to that stone, tell me. Are these the shadows of things that must be, or are they the shadows of things that might be?


Scrooged

Frank Cross:

We're going to need champagne for 250 people, and send the stuff that you send to me. Don't send the stuff that I send to other people.


Karen Allen:

That's one good thing about regret: it's never too late. You can always change tomorrow if you want to.


The Ladybird Version!

Narrator:

It was the same school-room. The boy was older, alone again. Suddenly the door opened and a little girl rushed in and hugged him. It was his sister. She'd been sent to bring him home for Christmas


Scrooge:

It's your Uncle Scrooge. I have come to dinner. Will you let me in, Fred?

Narrator:

Of course he would! He nearly shook his hand off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

24th December: The Final Preparations

Picture 1: Orlando has loved all 11 of his Christmases so far! Picture 2: And another crazy Orlando tail!  ...