Thursday 21 December 2017

#300GoodDeeds - Day Twenty-One - Carols in the Co-Op

I do apologise in advance for the bullet-points, but the lurg is strong with this one (!) and I fear that I won't make much sense if I keep trying to write in full paragraphs!!
  1. V put some bread out for the birds - we had bought them a loaf of bread yesterday and they made a good start on that today! They were all so hungry, which Mum correctly predicted that heralded a cold night. As I'm writing this at 8pm, it's already freezing.
  2. C took her class to sing carols in Co-Op. It was just wonderful to see how happy people were to enjoy the children singing.
  3. I went along to support her, even though she didn't see me! This was an absolute pleasure, but I did walk instead of getting a lift so that Dad didn't have to turn out. This wouldn't be a good deed usually, but I'm counting it as one because of how tired I am with the lurg!!
  4. It didn't seem right that I was the only one who was able to enjoy the lovely singing, so I recorded audioclips and popped them across on WhatsApp to my brother (in Grenoble), one of my sisters and my brother-in-law (both in Inverness). It also meant I could share it with the folks at home who didn't manage to make it down to the Co-Op.
  5. On my way home (sort of!) I dropped off some chocolate for the Far North train staff, as a thank you for another year of getting me safely to and from work!
  6. I also went to the Post Office to post various Christmassy things for different people :) This meant that Vdidn't have to turn out straight after teaching, and could have a drink instead! (of tea - nothing stronger!!)
  7. The Post Office Good Deed reminded me of one V did for me earlier in the day - addressing all my Christmas cards, as I have no idea where people live!
  8. On my excursion to the Co-Op, I also managed to get some shopping done for Mum and Dad, which meant that no one had to go out to Tesco this evening.
  9. We talk a lot about courteous driving - but how about courteous pedestrian-ing? Today as I was crossing the zebra crossing, the car to my right slowed down and stopped, but someone coming the other way came hell-for-leather up to the crossing. It looked like they might have been having an argument with the person in the front seat and weren't paying full attention. Instead of shouting at them or making a rude gesture (which, I'm afraid to say, did occur to me!!), I gave them a cheery wave and a smile.
  10. I also saw a friend on the way back and had a good cheery natter with her - and wished her a very Merry Christmas!
  11. V noticed that we had run out of crib candles, so used some of hers and lit them in time for her pupils to enjoy. Usually Mum does this, but she is just taking busy-ness to a whole new level at the moment! Today, she made the stuffing and the apple sauce for Christmas Dinner, as well as all her usual jobs!
  12. C delivered some of Mum's and Dad's Christmas cards to local people while walking Orlando. 
  13. V played Santa this evening and passed on a present from Mum to a friend.
  14. V was also a Hug Santa - giving a hug to someone who needed it. Like the rest of us, she's not one of life's natural huggers which means that, when you do get a hug from her, you know it's sincere!
  15. Talking of hugs, I sent a virtual hug on Twitter to someone who was feeling sad.
  16. V wasn't the only one who was being Santa today! C also took along presents to one of the cleaners at the school...
  17. ... and one of her PSAs!
  18. She (C) also gave us a snow globe that she had made in class. Having a teacher in the family is very similar to having a schoolchild, although teachers do a lot more homework and they seem to enjoy cider and prosecco more too!!
  19. C looked after a little child who was very upset because his dad hadn't managed to make it to the Co-Op to hear him singing.
  20. Back at school, C also helped a colleague with the door. It might seem small, but these are the little gestures that (hopefully!) just make life a bit easier for people.
  21. I wrote two special inscriptions (although one of them smudged, which was annoying!). We do like giving and receiving books at Christmas, and an inscription always makes them that bit more special and personal.
Again, sorry that I resorted to bullet points - I intend for this lurg to be gone tomorrow and, if it isn't, I shall be having pretty strict words with it!
Here's a cute picture of Orlando, for no reason other than the fact he's beautiful!!
Happy Winter Solstice!

  - J. x

No comments:

Post a Comment

24th December: The Final Preparations

Picture 1: Orlando has loved all 11 of his Christmases so far! Picture 2: And another crazy Orlando tail!  ...